A parking lot now stands on part of the
site of the Lyceum Theatre, a popular venue for touring plays and
pre-Broadway tryouts, which opened on April 7, 1890. Companies used the
Lyceum to rehearse and polish new productions before appearing in larger
cities. While in New London the theater companies stayed at the Crocker
Companies headed by James O誰eill, William Gillette, David Belasco, and other theater luminaries made the Lyceum a part of their New England tours. The Lyceum often opened its season with James O誰eill in The Count of Monte Cristo or another play in his company痴 repertoire. James O誰eill generously provided his youngest son with tickets so that he and his friends were able to see most of the productions that came to New London. The Lyceum presented both vaudeville and drama. These productions probably provided Eugene O誰eill with some of his earliest theater experiences.
By 1937 the Lyceum was vacant, and in the mid-1950s it was torn down to make way for an addition to the Baptist Church on Huntington Street.
ｩ Copyright 1999-2007 eOneill.com